Windy Brow, named for its windy location on the brow of the ridge, was originally operated as a dairy farm dating back to the late 1800s. The first fruit trees were planted by the Inslee family in 1920. When the original dairy barn was destroyed by fire in the 1940s, the Inslee’s decided to concentrate on fruit growing. Many of the original trees are still bearing fruit today. The packing house and farm store established in 1946 are still in operation.
The present proprietors, Jim and Linda Hunt, purchased the farm in 2000, and look to their local roots in agriculture to guide them as they continue the family tradition of farming in the Garden State. In 2013, their son Jake returned to the farm to start The Cow’s Brow Creamery, and assist with other expansion efforts, both on the retail and agricultural sides of the business. Their love of the land and strong sense of community service are evident as you gaze around the orchard and country store.